Since September, I have completed 3, yes, 3 Korean series and I 1/2 American program. They are:
Alone in Love starring Son Ye Jin & Gam Woo SungWhy couldn't Filipino dramas be as sophisticated and low-key as this gem? I guess because everybody watching TV nowadays expect a showdown, be it the musical or the dramatic kind. And there are little of that in this series... just toned-down acting. Everyday stuff all of us have to go through. Like going to work. Coming back home. Realizing you're alone. That kind. Sigh. I read that this is an adaptation of a Japanese novel. Hey, maybe I should start adapting stuff from the pile beside my bed...
Tree of Heaven starring Lee Wan and Park Shin HyeNow this was the opposite of restraint. It was like watching a Filipino drama. Misunderstood boy meets sweet girl. Sweet girl loses her parents, her home and is pushed to poverty and abject humiliation. Boy turns into powerful gangster. And... well, you know how this turns out. They both die.
I became intrigued with the series when the characters were speaking Japanese. And Park Shin Hye, if she's the Korean actress I think she is, is good at languages. She speaks good English and of course, Korean. And in this show, she speaks Japanese. Talent! Now Lee Wan. He looks like a technical director I know, only Lee Wan has a greater looking body. Yun lang.
Beautiful Days starring Lee Byung Hun and Choi Ji WooLike all other Korean dramas I've watched, I could remember particular scenes but rarely their endings. Honestly, I don' t remember if Choi Ji Woo's character survived her cancer but I remember the scene shown left.
And like I always say, life is too short to watch movies kung makikita mo lang pangit. Bring on the cuties and the beefcakes! hahaha. (Ganyan na ganyan ang karma. This is why I am relegated to playing nanny roles on TV.) The real reason I watched this 24 episode drama is Lee Byung Hun. Siya lang.
His smile can make me swoon. And he wasn't even smiling at me. Sigh. His voice is so deep and rich, it sounds so sexy. Ahahahaaa! I am in Ajumma mode again. Down girl!
But really, show me a man's man! Show me Lee Byung Hun, NOW!

Grey's Anatomy starring Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Sandra Oh, Katherine Heigl, Isaiah Washington, Justin Chambers and a lot more!
I have not enjoyed an American TV series since... Sex and the City. Six Feet Under came close but it got too morose. But Grey's is just right. It's real-life poignant drama, what with surgery no less. It's kinda goofy, but not Ally McBeal proportions. It's got eye-candy, which is really important. And the writing's good. While watching some episodes, I thought, "Blood, brain, guts... no sweat...I should've been in the medical profession." But then the characters work 36 hour shifts! Then I go back to... I am great the way I am, a cultural worker.
I haven't finished Grey's Anatomy yet, though. Why? you may ask? It's because I'm writing this entry, dumdum!
No comments:
Post a Comment