Friday, December 22, 2006

"A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together." - Garrison Keillor

The inevitable is about to happen. Despite trying to hold off all Christmas-y activities -- at least those which I could control -- I am succumbing to the holiday spirit. Tonight, I am still cool but tomorrow, I think I will be a shopping dervish as I have not yet bought my Christmas gifts.

Yup, I will cram again. I might give my friends and family pdvds at this point :P I wish I don't get all grouchy and PMS-y while on my tiangge rounds.

Meanwhile, I attended at least three get togethers/ Christmas parties these past few days. Of course, we had our office Christmas party. T'was very simple but still meaningful because we were all together.

Actually, I have been very conscious to pace myself this season. As much as I can, I do not go around so much and spread myself thin. So when I kinda double-booked myself this Wednesday, I was tempted to blow off one of my scheduled dates. Good thing I did not!

Early evening, I met with my sisses from college at the Fish & Co at Greenbelt 3. It was an enjoyable dinner with a lot of laughs as we reminisced on our brods (which I really have no connection to, hehehe), our tambayan, how it was in those simple days of yore, when we all wore our wimples and I had my whip. Waaaapaaaaak! Now, my sorority sisters are no longer sisses, but ... atengs! Which is a blessing, considering what they call the number 1 & 2 --- BOSSANG! Hahahahahahahahahah!!!

With my Atengs (Rose, Lai and Trisa) at Fish & Co, a Singaporean company who serves great Fish and Chips (a British staple). I ordered a NY Fish and Chips?! How's that for identity crisis?


All good, though. Whatever keeps up the spirit of sisterhood. Was so happy I met up with my sis.. I mean, my atengs. Two are lawyers, one sis was a communications expert for a political party. I felt smart by association. After promises of having a part 2, I was off to my next par-tay!

Next stop was the PETA Christmas Party. Ok, I was late, and sadly, I wasn't able to watch the always hilarious but profound program this year. It was a UN/ Ms. Universe pageant, complete with question and answer portion, country costumes and talent portion. I went wearing a perfunctory kimono robe but I was so tempted to relive my Ms. UN days in high school.

Kung hindi niyo po natatanong, ako po'y naging Ms. UN sa aming high school. Dahil hindi uso ang mga beauty pageant sa St Paul, ito ang naging pageant namin. Almost all of the contestants were pretty, talented, smart --- the whole package. Ako lang ang deviant, I think. Most of them, were probably voted by their classmates. I. Volunteered. How's that for kapalmuks? From then, I became Ms. Brazil. Then Ms. UN!

Ok, I digress.

I always love going to PETA because it always feels like home. I wish I could be more active in productions, or else, in workshops. I know I would like to assist in workshops for less fortunate children. Sigh.

With Ian Segarra (G. Cambodia), one of today's promising young actors, I think, and Liza Magtoto,
one of the bestest women playwrights and my super *hug* friend

Now, with Gail (Ms. Korea), my Fukuoka roomie and soul sister, along with another of my longest friends in PETA, Wylie (Mr. South Africa).

Another shot, this time with Gie, another close friend and super versatile actor.

I met a lot of old friends again at the party and hoped that we could all be together again longer than the "hi, merry christmas" pleasantries.

Such is Christmas. A time for remembering and touching base with the people who've made your life interesting and full.

No comments: