Sunday, March 9, 2008

If anybody's interested, I'm 32 :P

The moment you think of even lying about your age is the surest signal that you are already aged, or sige na nga, of "age".

I must admit that I have been fibbing about my chronological age recently, most brazenly when I joined a speed dating thingy which wanted to bring together singles aged 27-32. Every time I was asked how old I was and I replied, "30", I wanted to cackle (and inside I did). I was afraid they saw through my act because my quest for true love was for naught.

So my birthday, although welcome, was nothing to get excited about. During these landmark birthdays (those ending in 0 and 5), one usually reflects on their landmarks... and despite being very easy to reflect on the things you don't have (yet), I have to make a conscious effort to be thankful instead of the many blessings going in my life right now: my family's health and safety; the fact that we are all together; the unconditional affection I have for and receive from my cousins, uncles and aunties, and friends; a job which constantly challenges me; colleagues I respect and look forward to working with; a burning flame for the theater; the ability to pamper myself if I feel like it...



I hoped that I planned something more bongga like a theme party of sorts, as it has been ages since our family hosted something more elaborate than inihaw na baboy and manok. But because of the travesty that is my work, I was not able to do as much as even reserve a table for my birthday dinner. But I was so happy that I was with the people I love, love, love.

That said, I found out a surprisingly enjoyable event to go to, especially when you're angst-y about something as inevitable as age. As a birthday treat, my officemate treated me to a concert by the "Golden Divas", Pilita Corales, Carmen Soriano, and Carmen PateƱa. Dahil masama ang humindi sa libre, and I look forward to anything new, sumama ako. At ang saya saya! Pilita and the 2 Carmens were really worthy of their monikers as divas as they were performers through and through and shone like the troopers that they are. Although their voices faltered and gave way (what do we expect? they're all senior citizens :P), their numbers were all confident and more so their costumes! Plunging kung plunging at high slit kung high slit!

But the happiest bonus I got out of that night, was the fact that I was one of the youngest in the audience!!! Hahahahaha!!! The place was jampacked and most of the those who watched were lolas and lolos. It was actually hard to get a seat because whenever I got a good seat, I would give it up for the lola who wanted to watch Pilita so bad even if she had to go up three flights of stairs, with the aid of a cane!

My lesson that night was, no matter how old you think you are, may mas matanda pa sa iyo. And in other instances, kahit mas bata pa sila sa iyo, mukha na silang matanda!!!

That's just me humoring myself, as I usually do in my journals. Anyway, my friend and I promised, or rather, prophesied that this will be "the" year. Good times ahead! Up, up and up

No comments: