I am back from Singapore, from an all-paid observation visit to the Singapore Arts Festival over the weekend!
I had no idea that I would enjoy this trip more than I thought I would. For one, I wasn't very gung-ho with going to this place.I thought it was a cultural wasteland full of snobbish Singaporeans. If the prevalent news of Filipina maids suffering indignities under their Singaporean bosses don't brainwash you into thinking that every local is a potential monster, I don't know what will.
When opportunity knocks, be ready for anything. That's a word from the wise that the otherwise should follow :) Keep an open mind when traveling and it will be wonderful!
Let's start from the circumstances that brought me here.
I heard about this trip in March. One night, my boss called me to his office and told me that he would like to reward my hard work with a trip! To Singapore! He gave me an option whether to go in April --- when the budget comes around and then I would be able to see the Cubism in Asia exhibit at the Singapore Arts Museum, which we helped coordinate; or in June, during Singapore Arts Festival.
Naturally, I said I'd rather wait for June, as I am more interested in the performing arts than seeing paintings I've already seen in books.
Uncontrollable blab that I am, I bragged to friends and family that I will be sent to Singapore as a reward! Di ba, social? What office says you will be sent to a foreign country as reward? This is what I've always wanted. The recognition and appreciation for my dedication and hard work.
So that was in March. April came. May went by fast and I was getting antsy. Still no word from the boss. I didn't want to open the topic as it was a reward. I didnt want to push it. I wanted to still come off with a bit of finesse. I was already readying myself for the eventuality that the promised trip will be forfeited. I consoled myself with the idea that I can go to Singapore any time I want to. I can afford to travel on my own. And if I will be travelling abroad, it will not be in sanitary, socialist Singapore!!! ha!
Sour-graping. But at least, it made me take it easier when my boss emailed me that there was not enough budget. So, okay fine. Life goes on... ganyanan na pala... hintay ka lang pag-nagmigrate na ako... hahahaha!!!
I was supposed to go to Singapore on the the first weekend of June. Actually, June is not such a good idea to go abroad, especially for leisure, as I am sre to be busy with preparations for our next project. But since it was the weekend and that it was still 3 weeks to the event, it was manageable.
Imagine how surprised I was when after a meeting with a Japanese lighting designer, my boss called me to ask me if I am still interested to go to Singapore. Is he kidding? Did he think I'd go all demure and say "not really"???
So with the fervor of a Tasmanian she-devil, i got into preparations for the trip. As this was spur of the moment, I couldnt get good discounted seats at those budget airlines. Or even coordinate schedules with friends who might like to go along with me... it was also Great Singapore Sale!
Man, was it hectic! I had a lot of stuff on my plate. It was crazy! Booking tickets (plane, show...), coordinating with friends and contacts in Singapore... office paperwork and assorted meetings.
Finally, everything was settled. I booked a flight June 9/ 12 at Jet Star Asia. A former JF colleague was kind enough to book my room at the Metropole hotel. I was all set to watch a play featured for the Singapore Arts Fest. Had arranged to meet a renowned Singaporean director, a college batchmate, and watch friends during play rehearsal. In between, I plan to sneak bouts of shopping and aimless wandering.
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment