Monday, July 3, 2006

Reminiscing about Singapore

It's been three weeks already since Singapore. The Condors have come and went. The credit card bills are already due. And my boss is waiting for my report on what I did in Singapore. What did I do exactly?

When he dangled Singapore as a reward, I didn't think it would be this so whirlwind. I would have wanted to see more performances in the Singapore Arts Fest but because I booked late already, I was just able to catch "Geisha".

I enjoyed this trip for the adventure. I mean, I always went out of the country following somebody else's itinerary. Now, even though there was still some arranged meetings, I was pretty much on my own. It was a thrill booking my plane and show tickets online. (Proof that I dont get out a lot.) I also realized how I have to polish on my social graces. I'm really clueless in carrying some conversations. Although, some people I readily open up to (like those Singaporean cab drivers)... I pretty much clam up when there's some kind of expectations that is set (Ong Keng Sen).

Guided with the spirit of adventure, already in my flat slides (no high heels) and an all blue getup (blue is the universal color of Saturday), I set out to explore Singapore, a country that was "as small as Makati". The plan was 1) Go to the museums (the Singapore Arts museum) in particular; 2) Ride to Orchard Avenue --- get some quickie shopping done; 3) get some Chinatown sights; 4) mosey on down to the Indian district; if possible go to the Dutch quarters; and 5) catch Geisha at the Victoria Theater. I had with me a map and my trusty security bag. I could do it.

After getting traditional breakfast (just bread/ butter and coffee!) at a nearby cafe, the Kaffe Dian --- o di ba? Parang nasa makati nga lang. Dian daw o? --- I tried to find my way to the Singapore Arts Museum. It seemed so near the place where I was staying. A couple of blocks walk. That was around 1030 am. It felt like I was walking around and around, in the sweltering heat! I was drenched in sweat and lost. I still had a lot of places to go to on my list... where was the damned museum!

At 1130, I finally found my way to the SAM, which was partly hidden because of the surrounding construction going on. I was so glad i found it finally that I wasn't really able to soak in the artwork. I was like okay, good, Filipino artist, okay, okay. Next location! I took in the good contemporary asian art collection of the museum (they have excellent taste for putting in a lot of Filipinos' works) but was not able to reflect (reflect daw o?) on the meanings or the statements of the works. I was really so gung-ho to get to my next pit stop (ala Amazing Race) that I wasnt able to relish the whole experience. Although I would like to say that I saw a really raw, badly presented exhibit on 3d architectural studies which I thought was a mistake on SAM's part.It looked unfinished and random --- like kalat that was not set aside.
Walked for a bit and consulted my map. According to it and the street signs, I am near Orchard Road already. Lesson #1. If travelling and in doubt, try to take public transportation. My swelling corns and calluses should have signalled me to take the MRT already but as I was conditioned to soak in the culture and the peoples' vibes, I thought, "walking is a good introduction to a locality". Although when I see those Singaporeans drive up in their luxury cars, I miss my trusty FX.

My gosh, it was like I walked from my house to Taytay. Ganon kalayo. Shet. Ubos ang ganda ko. Shopping was my objective in Orchard Road but with the way I am, all I wanted to do was lie down and sleep! I looked around for Dodoy's mie goreng, Havaianas for Joy and another pair of designer slippers for Vicky. I wanted to buy clothes and stuff but the prices were so ridiculous ( I could get more tasteful wares in Glorietta at less the price or same) that I withheld from shopping anymore stuff. Instead, I gorged on food.

Which was about time as it was around 2 pm already when I buckled down for my first real meal of the day. Had the recommended Laksa at My Mum's Cuisine, which reminded me of Tom Yang soup. After that, larga ulit.

Oh I had another mission going to Orchard. I read in the brochures that Borders, the biggest bookstore in the city, is on that road. Woohoo. When I consulted my map I found out that it was almost at the end of the other side. Did that stop me? No way. I just kept trudging on like a soldier on a mission. When I finally saw Borders, I felt relieved but suddenly thought, Powerbooks and Fully Booked is even more exciting than this bookstore! Bought American magazines (smart. I shouldve bought Japanese ones)to read with me at Starbucks. Amen. Finally, food I knew. Wherever one is, Starbucks is dependably good.

I quickly chucked all other itineraries to go home and prepare for the Geisha show at the Victoria. I was to meet a Filipino university professor, who wanted to do some Arts fest prospecting for her production. Well, I met her and more! I met the kind colleage of my boss who reserved my hotel room, some Filipino friends from drama school, my college professor, a Japanese lights designer and a Filipino writer/ poet. Hay, it's like I never left home.

The play was good na rin. I leave the critics to lambast it and I will reserve my comments for my report to my boss --- it is still due, you know. All I noticed was there was a lot of muffled snores in the area where I was seated.

After the show, I got together with the Filipino contingent. Had beer and cheese and strawberry something at the Fullerton. Social!

End of Day 2.

No comments: